Create a 4 Page Web Site with Static Home Page
I am a newbie to WordPress and am learning as I go. I was very much interested in finding out how to create a web site like the one detailed below, a site with a static home page and a separate Blog page.
I created my 4-page web site on a local WordPress test system using WordPress 3.0.1, created as a new test system, with just a database, and the new default Twentyten theme. The Twentyten theme comes with a dummy post and an About page. I then copied what I had done locally and created this site on wordpress.com.
I realize that this may not be a real working system but I wanted to try and get the web site up and working as a 4-page web site with the static home page.
After installing a new database and reinstalling WordPress into the new database, I did the following to set up the test 4-page web site. The web site had the following requirements:
- – 4 pages,
- page 1: Home, with static content,
- page 2: Blog, with the posts content,
- page 3: About Us, with static content, and
- page 4: Contact Us, with static content
Steps used to create the web site:
- change permalinks to ‘%postname%’
- delete Akismet plugin, not required on a local wordpress site,
as well, it was asking to be updated to a new level
- add ‘Contact Us’ page (using add Page function in Dashboard) with some dummy content, change permalink to ‘about’
- change header image to a new picture (940×198)
- add new ‘Home’ Page using ‘add Page’ function in the Dashboard,
add some dummy content to the page, and use the default page template,
- add new ‘Blog’ page using ‘add Page’ function in the Dashboard,
add NO dummy content to the page, and use the default page template
- reset ‘Blog’ to the posts page and ‘Home’ as the new home page
– click on Settings
– click on Reading
– under Front page displays,
click on ‘a static page’,
select ‘Home’ for the Front Page,
select ‘Blog’ for the Posts Page
- assign page order number to each page:
Home – 1, Blog – 2, About Us – 3, Contact Us – 4
This should result in a 4-page web site with static Home, About, and Contact pages and a Blog page for posts to the site. It can now be modified to your wishes in your own work envirment. I put this site up on wordpress.com so that others could see what I have done.
I did try to do this with a different local wordpress setup and did get the double ‘Home’ link. That is why I started from scratch with a new database and the default theme. In this example, I do not get the double link, not sure why, I don’t know enough about WP yet.
Let me know how this works for you.
p.s. Further to the double ‘Home’ link problem, I believe that the problem is caused by the code used to display the main menu. If the menu is displayed using a function to display a ‘home’ link, and then uses wp_list_pages to display the rest of the pages, then if a ‘home’ page has been created, it will show up when you display a ‘home’ link and then also when you display the pages using the wp_list_pages function. To avod the double display, alter the way you display the main menu.