In the following documentation, I will document the steps I took to set up my example web site awm473.wordpress.com:
1. Go to wordpress.com and click on the “Get Started” button.
2. Put in a Blog Address you want to use e.g. awm473 – if it is already being used, you will be prompted to enter another name.
3. Enter a Username you want to use when logging into the site to make updates, etc on it. It does NOT need to match the name used in the Blog Address field.
4. Enter a Password for logging on (you will told how strong the password is) and enter it again in the Confirm field.
5. Enter your E-mail Address for contacting you about your web site. If you have set up other sites at wordpress.com, then you will need to use a unique email address (just create one in gmail if you want). this is the email address to which the activation message is sent.
6. If the Sign-up box at the bottom of the screen is no longer masked out, then you will be able to proceed with the sign-up and create your web site. If the sign-up box is still masked out, then there is a problem with one of the entries you just made and needs to be corrected to proceed.
7. The next screen which appears asks you to update you profile while you wait for the confirmation email message. Check the email address you entered and you should have received a confirmation message. You will need to confirm the registration and set up of the web site by clicking on the link address.
8. Once you have confirmed registration of your web site, you will taken to a web page stating that your web site is now active and it gives you the option of viewing it or logging onto it.
9. If you click on “View site”, the next screen you will see is the home page of the web site. This screen layout is a copy of the screen using the theme Coraline and may not match what your screen may look like, the information being displayed should be the same, just a different layout. To view the web site normally, enter “awm473.wordpress.com” into the address bar of your browser – web site link.
10. If you click on “login”, the next screen you will see is the login screen, enter your username and password and click on Log In:
11. The next screen you will see is the WordPress Dashboard “Welcome” screen
In the following section of the documentation, I intend to explain what you are now looking at, what it does and what you can do with it to set up your web site pages.