A test version of WordPress can be installed on your computer. The links below outline the steps needed to accomplish that. Most of what you need to do should be covered by any one of them. If not, check out one of the other ones.
- How to Install WordPress Locally on your Computer (WP3.2)
- Installing WordPress Locally
- Installing WordPress Locally Under Windows XP
- Install WordPress Locally under Windows 7
- Test Driving WordPress
- Installing WordPress Locally on your Mac with MAMP
On the next page Setting Up Your Local WP System, I will look at what you see when you install WordPress locally and cover some of the settings you need to make to get the system working as you want it.